Breweriana - Ashtray
Item: Dominion White Label Ale Ashtray
Date: 1930's - estimated
How obtained: Garage sale - $2
Details: Light brown glass ashtray with bold white lettering. The glass is slightly transparent. The ashtray is is great condition with slight scratching on the bottom.
Interesting notes: The Dominion Brewery (1873-1936) was located at 486 - 496 Queen Street East and was one of the largest breweries in the city. The huge structure was built by Robert Davies in 1878 and served the citizens of Toronto until the doors closed in 1936. It was rumoured Davies had owned 144 taverns in Toronto during the height of his wealth. His father, Thomas Davies had erected the Don Brewery years before in 1850. After years of neglect, the Dominion brewery received a face lift from the Sorbara Group between 1987 and 1990 and today businesses of all varieties occupy the site.
The Dominion on Queen pub, which is located on the eastern side of the restored building (Queen and Sumach - 500 Queen St East), still continues to serve beer to this day and dates back to 1889.
Old review of the Dominion on Queen