The following is a press release from the Ontario Craft Brewers with news about their 2nd annual OCB Week
One Unique Week of Tastings, Pub Crawls, Brewer Sightings, Beer with BBQ, Cheese, Chocolate & Cocktails, Music, Art & Good Local Fun
~ www.ocbweek.ca ~
Ontario Craft Brewers (OCB) from June 19 – 25, 2011. Ontario Breweries, pubs, restaurants and venues are busily creating unique events that will showcase and celebrate the great flavours and popular culture of Ontario Craft Beer. New beer-themed occasions are being added to the website regularly.
“Craft beer weeks have become a hugely popular part of the local beer movement in North America,” says Steve Beauschesne, of Beau’s All Natural Brewing Co. and co-chair of Ontario Craft Beer Week. “Here in Ontario, we’re creating a world-class beer experience in our own backyard through grassroots events and tasting opportunities. It’ll be a great way for Ontarians and tourists to discover fresh, local beer, experience beer and food matching and support local businesses.”
Here’s a sampling of event highlights and Ontario Craft Beer Week themes:
Go Ahead and Make Dad’s Day: Celebrate Father’s Day by taking Dad for a tour and tasting at one of Ontario’s local craft breweries:
- Cameron’s Brewing Co. hosts its annual Father’s Day BBQ at the brewery – beer, food & free tours.
- Grand River Brewery tours and samples by the glass for a loonie.
- Granite Brewery in Toronto will give Dad a pint in a special free Granite Father’s Day glass.
- Bring Dad down to Great Lakes Brewery between 2-4 p.m. for beer and BBQ treats.
- Mill Street Brewery has three Father’ Day events planned at The Local in Barrie, The Griffin Pub in Bracebridge and the Cherry street Diner in Toronto.
- Muskoka Cottage Brewery Steamship Cruise: A four hour tour of Muskoka lakes with good craft beer, delicious food and entertainment.
- Neustadt Springs Brewery is hosting an Open House on Father’s Day in Neustadt, ON.
- Old Credit Brewing Co. in Port Credit throws its annual Father’s Day tour and tasting with a take home gift of glassware.
- Railway City Brewing is hosting “Bring Dad to the Brewery” in St. Thomas, ON.
- Wellington Brewery Father’s Day Open House (12-4 pm) with tours and samplings at the brewery in Guelph (including Welly One-Off limited edition cask). $5 per person.
- On June 19, the Second annual Cass & Troy's (Epic) Pub Crawl is an "Outside In" affair. Toronto Beer Week organizers Cass Enright (Bartowel.com) and TAPS The Beer Magazine/beer blogger extraordinaire Troy Burtch will each lead a group of revellers from opposite ends of the city and meet in the middle for an epic craft beer tasting blow out.
- Hwy 61 in Toronto is planning something spectacular as always with local beer & BBQ specialties.
- Great Lakes IPA Triple Tap Takeover at the Rhino: a week-long rotation of single, double and triple, black and belgian IPA's.
- Grilling with Great Lakes at The Only Café (June 22).
- Beach BBQ & Brews Festival at Toronto’s Woodbine Park (June 17-19) will feature several craft brews, tasty food and a cool lakeside location.
- Blue’s Brews & BBQ in St. Thomas (June 18-19) at the Historic Caso Station features live music, great bbq&beer.
- Hamilton: The Winking Judge
- Ilderton: The King Edward Restaurant & Pub
- Kingsville: Jack’s Gastropub
- London: The Morrissey House
- Ottawa: Arrow & Loon, Elmdale House Tavern
- Toronto: Beer Bistro, Burger Bar (Kensington Market’s new brewpub), Cloak & Dagger, DeSotos, The Dominion on Queen, The Feathers Pub, Grapefruit Moon, The Miller Tavern, The Rebel House, The Rhino, Victory Café, Café Volo
- Guelph: The Cornerstone (June 21): a guided tasting of artisan cheeses paired with local craft beer, courtesy of Ouderkirk & Taylor and Wellington Brewery.
- Kingston: Olivea (June 23): Five fabulous artisan cheeses from Fifth Town Artisan paired with five organic brews from Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company.
- Let’s see if Mill Street’s Sam Corbeil does a beer & cheese thang with Leslieville Cheese Co. (tbc)
- Mirella Amato of Beerology/Barley’s Angels will lead beer & cheese pairings at Session 99 (Toronto craft beer festival ).
- Musicians from Beau’s, Great Lakes, Mill Street and Wellington (and more) will perform at a hip downtown Toronto venue (full line-up TBC).
- Art of Beer (TBC): A radical, beer-themed art show is in the works for Toronto beer and art fans. More to come.
- Session 99 (June 25): Jason Collett (Broken Social Scene), New Country Rehab, NQ Arbuckle & The Blue Mushroom Circus Sideshow
- Beer & chocolate pairings (TBC - June 23): premium chocolate matched with premium beer – sinfully delicious.
- Beer cocktails with guest cocktail expert & author Christine Sismondo (TBC - June 20): the latest and greatest bar trend.
- Special guided tours at Session 99 (June 25): Guided tastings and beer & cheese pairings. Learn how to taste and experience craft beer from an expert.
- Speed Dating/Beer Tasting? Sounds like a perfect couple! Stay tuned, more details to come.
- Toronto Beer Lovers Meet Up Group. They’ve already held events at Black Oak Brewery and Great Lakes; new details should emerge about their OCB Week plans.
- The Third Annual Cask Ale Crawl hosted by CASK Toronto is scheduled for the weekend of June 17-19. Order cask beer from any of the more than 10 participating pubs in Toronto, and get your passport stamped to win amazing prizes.
- Toronto craft beer mecca C’est What hosts its annual Spring Festival of Craft Breweries (June 21-25) bestowing pub goers with eighty brews over five days with a dozen new drafts and three new casks each night. Samples cost a loonie.
- Beerstock II (June 23) will rock Mississauga as West 50 Pourhouse and Grille hosts a beer festival featuring over 50 brands from Ontario Craft Brewers.
- Guelph Ale Trail Beer Dinner at the Woolwich Arrow Pub (June 19)
- One Off Beer Dinner at The Harbord House with Great Lakes Brewery (June 20)
- SESSION 99 (June 25), a craft beer festival will feature 35+ craft breweries from North America in downtown T.O. Kicks off with a toast to us from Brooklyn Brewery’s renowned brewmaster Garrett Oliver.
- The Brewer’s Plate people have planned a VIP Masterclass tasting event hosted by Beau’s. Deets to follow.
- Grand River Brewing/GRB Beer Club session (June 22); a special gathering to celebrate the brewery’s fourth anniversary with meads, ciders and fruit beers.
- King Brewery Tap Takeover (June 24) at The Only Cafe.
- Stand by for full details on OCB Week event plans from OCB members: Barley Days (Picton), County Durham Brewing Co. (Pickering), Flying Monkeys Brewery (Barrie), Hogsback Brewing Co. (Ottawa), Kichesippi Beer Co. (Ottawa), Lake of Bays Brewing Co. (Baysville), Maclean’s Ales (Battleaxe Brewery, West Grey), Niagara’s Best Beer (Niagara Falls), Niagara College Teaching Brewery (Niagara-on-the-Lake), Nickel Brook Beers (Burlington), Skeena Brewing Co. (Perth), Stratford Brewing Co., Trafalgar Brewing Co. (Oakville).
- Beau’s Pan-Ontario Bourbon Barrel Aged Beer: Blended beers from OCB breweries will age in bourbon barrels and be released at various OCB Week events
- Brewing under the Stars (June 20): The new patio at Toronto’s Stout Irish Pub will double as an outdoor mini-brewery as brewers from Great Lakes, Camerons, F&M and Biergotter actively brew a collaboration beer under the stars. A previously brewed collaborative one-off will be poured.
- Etobicoke’s Finest: The brewing masterminds at Black Oak Brewery and Great Lakes Brewery have already brewed up a special batch of beer that’s aging in all its west end glory and will be featured at Bryden’s Best of the West; a week long fest where a majority of taps will be dedicated to west end brews.
- Guelph’s Greatest: Welly and F&M Brewery are working on a collaborative beer to rock the socks off the good citizens of Guelph.
Interested parties with Ontario Craft Beer Week ideas should contact their local brewery or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. New details, when they are available, will be posted on the OCB’s new website for Craft Beer Week, www.ocbweek.ca.